Thursday, October 2, 2008

Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow

Dante Valentine is one bad-ass chick. She's also a mess. Being hauled to Hell by a gun-wielding demon to meet Lucifer himself is where this series starts and it doesn't stop until the very end (duh). I guess I was lucky I got sick and had some downtime because once I started the second book, The Devil's Right Hand, I couldn't stop until I finished the fifth and final book.

These books aren't just about killing demons or any work that Dante does as a necromance; Dante is continually in an emotional upheaval: Her friends keep dying. She falls in love with a demon. Avenging the murder of her friend Doreen. Finding Doreen's daughter. Witnessing someone who goes through what Dante goes through is hard; I became way too emotionally involved in what happens. The second book really upset me. Japhrimel and his antics pissed me off in the third, fourth and fifth books. I still have to finish the second book in the Kismet series; I like Jill but she's not keeping my attention like Dante did.

No comments: