Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A few thoughts before bed...

In about twelve hours or less, my copy of Karen Marie Moning's Dreamfever will be landing on our front porch. Can't wait to get my hands on it...I won't even read it right away but touching it will make me happy. Sad, isn't it? Am I the only one who does this: I wait and pine and count the days for a new book of a favorite author to come out and when I get it, it gets put on the bookshelf until I'm "ready" to read it. I still haven't read the newest books from Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs, Kim Harrison, Julia Quinn, and Ilona Andrews yet. I keep looking at them and thinking "Hmm, not yet." And then I end up reading some beat-up copy of something by Lisa Kleypas or Jennifer Crusie's Bet Me for the umpteenth time. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have noticed that my August count of books read is wayyy below average for me lately. Last month I had over forty and so far I'm managing about a book a day. Fortunately for me they've good ones. Mostly.

First up: Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver. This chick is going to do for werewolves what Stephenie Meyer did for vampires but with teenage nookie. Not explicit teenage nookie but nookie nonetheless. I loved this book and it made me cry. It's funny, heartbreaking, and kinda angsty (it is about teenagers). Grace lives in Minnesota and has been obsessed with the wolves that live in the woods around her home. She is an only child with parents who are distracted with their own preoccupations to worry too much about their daughter so she more or less runs the household. When Grace was eleven, one of the wolves grabbed her off her backyard swing and brought her to the pack to eat only to have one of the other wolves, known as Sam when he's bipedal, save her, becoming her guardian from then on. The interesting thing about these werewolves is that they don't follow the usual guidelines: they aren't affected by the moon but by the weather - cold temperatures/seasons make them turn and heat makes them human. Once bitten there is only a finite number of years that they still live as humans before they become a wolf forever and then their lifespan is the same as regular wolves. Being infected by the wolf toxin is more or less a death sentence. Grace and Sam fall for each other at first sight and when he appears in his human form when it's getting cold outside, he has to fight to stay with Grace, the first good thing in his life just about ever. I loved Twilight the first time I read it - I'm a big sucker for love stories like that - but Shiver kicks the crap out of Twilight. Linger, the sequel, will be out at the end of 2010.

I mentioned in a somewhat recent post that I had been picking up the romances mentioned by Smart Bitches, Trashy Books in People magazine and had been 0 for 1. Well, I read Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase and am now 1 for 2. This was one of the best regency period romances I have ever read. Sexy and so funny - I laughed out loud several times. I loved Miss Jessica Trent. I want to be like her and have her quick brain. Keeping Dain on his toes was the job for an expert and she was wonderful. He was delightful as well. This was a definite keeper.

I am still thinking about Mercy Thompson: Homecoming. Also, I only have a few books in the running for the Best Book in August. 'Night :)

No comments: