Saturday, January 16, 2010

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

As it turned out, all I needed was some quiet time so I could get totally sucked into this story. It took about 100 pages before it really hooked me good. And it took that long to introduce all the main characters. Don't get me wrong, this is no George R. R. Martin tome; at least with Butcher's books you can be reasonably sure that he's not going to kill off half the characters in one chapter but let's not get me started on Martin's books. Yikes. Anyway...

Two-thirds of my way through Furies I realized that the book reminded me of Tolkien's The Two Towers and then I saw the quote on the cover by Simon Green, comparing the book to Tolkien. Yay! I'm as smart as Simon Green :) Seriously though, there are a few similarities but this author is definitely more readable. I never did get all the way through Return of the King. Maybe someday, right? I have the next two books in the Codex Alera series and am looking forward to book two, Academ's Fury.

No comments: