Sunday, January 2, 2011

Letting Go and New Beginnings

It's the beginning of a new year so you know what that means: it's time for my annual recataloging of my library. I simultaneously loathe and enjoy this yearly reckoning; giving up books is never easy for me as I get unreasonably attached to my library. But it's a necessary evil. I bring in WAY more books than I send out and something's gotta give. Reclaiming any space is good though.

The question is...which books do I get rid of? If I have them then there was a reason, right? I mean, I wouldn't have bought/borrowed/traded/downloaded them if I wasn't interested or they didn't sound like a good read. What I really need is a more judicious eye when it comes to accumulating them. More often than not I know my reasoning is along the lines of "yes, I could get this from the library but that's only for a limited time. What if I can't get to it in that time period? Wouldn't it just be easier if I had my own copy?" Seriously, people, I can rationalize almost anything when it comes to books. It's time to stop and get control! *sobs*

Oh hell.

Now you know why I only do this once a year.

3 comments:

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

I feel your pain girl. It'll be okay! You'll see...

Jen said...

*sniff*

Just kidding! I didn't get much done with my library yesterday unless you want to count the mess I made moving things around. It's going to take me a while - I've got some books packed in boxes, stashed everywhere.

On the plus side, I've been getting plenty of reading done and I hope to get to my Fever reread before the 18th! Cross your fingers for me :)

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

Woohoo! Crossing my fingers and toes!