Saturday, September 6, 2008

Blood Drive & The Watcher by Jeanne C. Stein

This is a series that is improving with each new installment. I agree with my friend the Booknerd when she said the first one was boring with flat characters. Most definitely. Anna Strong, main character and vampire bounty hunter, is growing. She's trying to keep a grip on her humanity so she doesn't end up like Avery who kept his late human girlfriends in boxes in his attic. She needs her family, her friends (David) and her boyfriend Max, whom she is afraid to reveal herself to. She keeps putting off her "training" and tries to manage her life on her own. Difficult, no? Blood Drive deals with Anna's family and a possible long-lost niece from her dead brother. She meets Daniel Frey, a shape-shifter, and discovers a community of supernaturals in her town. The Watcher involves more supernaturals including a witch, a demon, more shape-shifters and obviously, more vampires. Max is kidnapped, her relationship with David is deteriorating due to his girlfriend's machinations, she is "relocated" my her sometimes mentor to get her out of the area after she has a wild night and a witch is trying to call up a demon to rid the world of people like Anna. The next book, Legacy, is out now and I will read it when I can get my hands on a copy without buying it brand new so I may have to wait awhile.

No comments: