Saturday, December 26, 2009

New to me in 2009 & what's coming in 2010

Looking back through my 2009 book diary, I just wanted to make note of those authors that were new to me this year. I'm talking about writers that have doing what they do for more than one year. A good example from last year would be Diane Mott Davidson. When I told my grandmother last year that I had started reading Davidson's books, her reaction was along the lines of "You dummy. I've been telling you to read her books for years!" I also got that reaction several years back when I "discovered" Robert B. Parker. OK.



Robert Crais has been writing since the early 90's, when he started his Elvis Cole mysteries. My first Crais book was The Watchman, which focused on Joe Pike, Elvis's partner in solving crime. Pike has a teeny-tiny sense of humor and he never smiles. Why he would pick a guy that worships Disney characters to work with, I'll never know. Pike gets his second book in less than a month when The First Rule comes out. I wonder if Pike will ever revisit Larkin (his charge in The Watchman, they both said I Love You at the end of the book).

Deanna Raybourn is fabulous. I can't say enough about how great her Lady Julia Grey series is and I desperately hope she doesn't make me wait too long for the next one.

Teresa Medeiros writes beautiful romances and she's proud of it. She's on this list just for that reason. I like her books too.

Eloisa James has been her family's dark secret. She writes regency romances and is damn proud of it. She comes from a famous literary family known for it's literature, not bodice-rippers, but when a woman starts writing to pay the rent and ends up as successful as Eloisa has, you can't argue with results.

Julia Spencer-Fleming's series that starts with In the Bleak Midwinter is so good, even if I've only read the first two books (I have all of them). A woman minister for an episcopalian church who is attracted to the married police chief has a serious problem, right? Most definitely. Add a few murders into the mix and you've got some compelling reading to do.

Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels has been everywhere in the blogosphere this year. I am so glad I read this book because it is one of those books you will want to read again. And again. What's not to love about a love story in which the heroine shoots the hero after he publicly humiliated her? Then they get married! Smart, funny, and sexy, this romance hits all the high notes.


Here comes 2010...What I'm looking forward to experiencing next year:


NYCC in October

Karen Marie Moning's Shadowfever - the last part of her five-part series. What will happen to Mac? Who died at the end of Dreamfever? Will Mac and Barrons end up together? Still no release date yet.

New Jennifer Crusie novel - always a treat.

Jim Butcher's Changes - Harry has a kid? WTF? Will his love child with Susan be half-vampire? I still need to read Turn Coat.

New YA: Richelle Mead's Spirit Bound (can Dmitri be saved?), Melissa Marr's Radiant Shadow (who will Aislinn pick, Seth or Keenan? Does anybody care?), Hunger Games #3, Maggie Stiefvater's Linger, Kelley Armstrong's The Reckoning, Cassandra Clare's The Clockwork Angel.When did I start reading all these YA series?

Christopher Farnsworth's Blood Oath - sounds interesting. A vampire that has protected all the Presidents for the last 140 years.

Inception - a Christopher Nolan movie that has Leonardo DiCaprio in it? I'm definitely there. See the completely trippy trailer:

No comments: