Monday, July 26, 2010

It Feels Like Christmas

I always knew this day would come. I've heard about other people's experiences in this, good and bad, and while I put it off as long as I could, it was inevitable.

I bought a Nook. nook. Whatever.

With the prices on these little buggers drooping like the leaves on my hydrangeas in this hellish heat, my husband had plans on getting me one for my birthday. I'll tell you what pushed that up several months: Deanna Raybourn. More specifically, netGalley.com granted my request to get an ebook ARC of her Dark Road to Darjeeling, the much-anticipated fourth book in her Lady Julia series. There are few series I follow with such devotion and so when I saw another blogger had scored a copy of the book from the fine folks behind netGalley, I was on that ASAP. Seeing my email this morning with some messages from netGalley put me on the phone with the local B&N to check their inventory. (I had to double check this time as I may have ended up on the news otherwise.) I was soon on my way out the door with a somewhat bewildered-looking husband shaking his head behind me.

Officially, this makes me a hypocrite but I don't care. I was informed today that women are allowed to throw hissy-fits from time-to-time with no repercussions so I may be in the clear. There's no guilt here :)

I've been reading Dark Road to Darjeeling this evening on this gadget and with just some formatting issues of the text to work around, I've had no trouble. It's so much more sophisticated than the Sony eReader I used a while back and I love the features.

One plus that I hadn't considered before I bought it was that it slows me down. I can just inhale a book, depending on my anticipation and the writer and the nook requires me to flip the pages with the push of a button or swipe of my finger that probably takes two or three times as long. Dark Road to Darjeeling is 397 pages and I only got to page ninety-three. Last year when I brought Silent in the Moor from the bookstore in the early afternoon, I had it finished before dinnertime. It's a bad way to read and I know I miss stuff so I'm hoping this will help me pace myself.

It's been a good day.

2 comments:

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

Congrats on your new acquisition. I've been on the e-reader fence for a while now. It'd be cool to know how you feel about it after your first couple of months of use. You know, for those of us still on the fence. ;)

Jen said...

Keep an eye out at the end of October for that one. Right now though, the fence is a good place to be :)