Saturday, January 3, 2009

Georgette Heyer

In light of what I said earlier about historical romances I decided to go back and read the queen of them all: Georgette Heyer. My local library only had a few titles so I picked The Quiet Gentleman. I'm about 100 pages in and I'm enjoying it with one exception...Every other sentence ends with an exclamation point! (ha ha)

When J. K. Rowling was halfway through the Harry Potter series I read a review by Stephen King. He thought the books were great, with one exception: adverbs. Every line of dialogue was described (?) by an adverb. If you've read the books you know what I mean. I think Ms. Heyer is using her exclamation points much like Ms. Rowling uses her adverbs; they are distracting, not detrimental to the story. Hopefully, I can get past the extraneous punctuation and get to the good stuff later on. :)

No comments: