Sunday, January 11, 2009

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Hoo boy. I have no words. Wait a minute...OK. This book was awesome! Almost too good. I first heard about it on The Thrillionth Page, where the first line was quoted: 

"To say that I met Nicholas Brisbane over my husbands dead body is not entirely accurate. Edward, it should be noted, was still twitching upon the floor." 

I knew immediately that I had to read this book. Luckily for me, my library was able to get it and the sequel, Silent in the Sanctuary, which I will definitely pick up tomorrow. I may even buy a copy to have for myself. The third book, Silent on the Moor, will be out March 1.

Lady Julia Grey's husband Edward collapses during a dinner party in their home, goes into convulsions, and later dies. A week later, Nicholas Brisbane shows up to tell her that he believes her husband was murdered. They have words/insults and she throws him out. A year later, she finds evidence that Brisbane was telling the truth and seeks him out. They proceed to investigate Edward's death together, growing closer the whole time. 

Most likely to help preserve the tension and storyline, the romance aspect of the story was left hanging. That's fine. No need to rush it :) Also, this book was funny. The Ghoul & "It speaks." in particular were my favorites. 

When I find books like this I usually feel two emotions: anger (I can't believe I have never heard of this author!) and joy (think of Etta James' At Last - At last my love has come along - a little sappy, I know, but reading great books makes me so happy). And God help my poor husband if he makes the mistake of asking me what I'm reading - before I know it he has that glazed-over look to his eyes and I know I lost him a while back. :) I so can't wait to read the next one to find out what happens. :)


No comments: