Sunday, July 12, 2009

Lost in Austen

There have been some very awesome programs that have come out of the BBC within the last few years and this one may be my favorite. Lost in Austen is about a young woman named Amanda Price who lives in present day London and loves the book Pride and Prejudice. Adores, more like. She fantasizes about Mr. Darcy and knows the story totally by heart. One night after arguing with her jerkoff boyfriend, she finds Elizabeth Bennet in her bathroom. Once she decides she hasn't lost her wits, she ends up trading places with Elizabeth: she replaces Lizzie in the book while Lizzie lives in 21st century London. Amanda's goal is to make sure that the story/book ends up as it's supposed to, with all the proper marriages taking place. That, of course, doesn't happen and Amanda discovers that Mr. Darcy isn't all he's cracked up to be. Jemima Rooper as Amanda Price is fantastic. Elliot Cowan was so good as Mr. Darcy (loved the wet shirt scene). Oh hell, everybody was brilliant and after I watched it, I bought it (I had rented it from Netflix). It's three hours of regency wonderfulness. The only bad thing about this show is that it's finished.

1 comment:

Juliet said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Jen! I love Jane Austen and everything related to her or to the Regency period. And I love BBC miniseries and movies too. Their version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth is one of my favorites. This one looks great! I'll be looking for it.