Sunday, July 12, 2009

Undone by Rachel Caine

I had kinda given up on Rachel Caine's books a while back. I still have the last two Morganville Vampires books to read but I was burned out on the Weather Wardens. I couldn't have cared less about Joanne Baldwin and David, her big bag djinn. (It probably wasn't a good idea to read the lot of them all at once.) Well, I'm rethinking that attitude now that I've read Undone. It's in the Weather Wardens' universe and is centered around a djinn, Cassiel, that has been stripped of her powers, cast out of her existence and made human. Joanne, David, and Lewis also show up in this one, along with a few other familiars. Cassiel has to learn how to be human and is partnered with an earth warden named Manny. Cassiel becomes attached to Manny and his family, his five-year-old daughter in particular. Cassiel reminded me a lot of Q, the numero uno pain-in-the-ass of Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the Starship Enterprise. The episode I'm thinking of in particular is the one where Q is kicked out of the Q Continuum for being a bad omnipotent boy. Cassiel wasn't kicked out for being bad but she had a good reason for disobeying her superior. Anyway, I liked this book. Now I have to wait until Groundhog Day for the next one to appear :)

No comments: