Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday, 20 July 2009

Well, I'm halfway through The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I've been reading it since Saturday I think, and obviously it isn't a quick read. It's the first of three books written by Stieg Larsson and translated from its original Swedish. This has been a fascinating book even though I'm not at all familiar with Sweden other than where in the world it might be. I'm not ignorant of world geography but I definitely don't know where each country is exactly located. Anyway, this book is like four books rolled into one: (quoted from the front jacket flap) "A spellbinding amalgam of murder mystery, family saga, love story, and financial intrigue." I'm not going to even attempt to try to explain the plot in this book, there's just too much going on. The next book in the series, The Girl Who Played With Fire, is released on July 28. Amazon.com has the third one, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, to be out on October 31, 2009 in paperback but don't hold your breath for that one. Do read the first one (at least) as it's been highly entertaining and it doesn't feel as if it lost anything in translation.

Another interesting book I read lately was The Summoning, the first in a new YA series by Kelley Armstrong. Not sure why I picked that one either but after reading it, I am anxious to get my hands on the next one, The Awakening. I have no idea when the third one is released though. Next year probably. The Summoning wasn't as juvenile as a lot of YA novels seem to me to be and Kelley Armstrong is a good writer but I don't particularly like her Women of the Underworld(?) series (except for Bitten). Exit Strategy was also good.

No comments: