Monday, March 8, 2010

A Home for Christmas by Deborah Grace Staley

I received this ebook from LibraryThing as part of their Early Reviewers program. I don't think I'll be requesting any more ebooks from them as it takes me forever to get around to read them. I don't have any kind of handheld device that makes ebooks worthwhile so until that day comes...Ok, I'm lazy :)

Anyway, the review. I read the first book in this series (also from LT), Only You, a while back and liked it. It's nice to read a sweet, warm story every now and then when you get used to vampires and their ilk. Well, A Home for Christmas is no different. A lady doctor, Janice Thornton, with family ties to Angel Ridge, Tennessee comes back to give in to nostalgia from the few times she spent there in her grandparents's home. Her mother came from Angel Ridge but turned her back on it when she turned eighteen and left to move on to bigger and better things. Driving past her family's home she sees a man, Blake Ferguson, on a ladder, hanging christmas lights. All of a sudden, he's falling backward off the ladder and landing hard on the ground. She jumps out of her car to help and the rest is history.

Well, not history exactly. There are a few bumps in the road to true happiness of course. She has a hard time trusting people who say they love her since they've always left before. He has issues that involve jealousy when his brother is involved and sometimes he comes on a little too strong. With her great uncle leaving his small town practice to her, Janice has some big decisions to make about her life, career, and Blake.

This was a nice, easy, and quick read. Staley's books remind me a little of a PG version of a Sherryl Woods novel. I was a little disappointed not to revisit the characters from Only You but with just over 200 pages (the ebook was under 200), there's only so much you can cram into a book. I liked Janice and Blake as well as all the other characters. I hope Deborah Grace Staley decides to write more about Angel Ridge. This review will also appear on LibraryThing.

No comments: