Thursday, August 5, 2010

Title? What Title?

It's just after noon on Thursday and I'm still in my jammies. I am parked on my favorite spot - the couch - and have absolutely no plans to move anytime soon. It's hot today, fog up your glasses and scramble your brains hot, and so I've decided that no parts of me will be going outside today. I keep yawning because I was up until three last night, finishing up some reviews and reading Julie Kagawa's short story "Winter's Passage." Let's hope I don't scare the UPS man too badly later on.

If anyone has been paying attention to my Read in 2010 page, they would be able to tell that even though I have Dark Road to Darjeeling as the book I'm currently reading, I've been reading other things instead. Obviously, I've pretty much stalled with that one. I read ninety-some pages last week and none since and I'm starting to get a little scared of it. It's not grabbing me like the first three did and I find that upsetting. I will finish it within the sixty days I have before it expires but for now, I'm leaving it alone.

I am really starting to get excited for NYCC in October. I trolled through the sites of my favorite authors and learned that not only will Jim Butcher and Sherrilyn Kenyon be there but Seanan McGuire will be too! Woot! Anton Strout too although I've only read (and really liked) the first in his Simon Canderous series, Dead to Me. I plan to take beaucoup pictures and get as close as I can to James Marsters and Katee Sackhoff without getting arrested. I also plan to take my laptop with me to NYC so that I might do writeups on the con each night instead of leaving it until I'm home and have thus forgotten everything I did and/or saw. *snort* Yeah, we'll see about that one.

I'm starting The Iron Daughter today and me being me, I had to read them in order. I really liked "Winter's Passage" and thought it was the perfect length to fill in any gaps between books one and two, thereby removing the need to start Daughter off anywhere but the Winter Court. "Winter's Passage" is all about Meghan and Ash and their journey from Meghan's home at the end of The Iron King where she agreed to leave with him in order to fulfill her promise that she would go to the Tir Na Nog, the Winter Court, and keep her end of their bargain that they made in King. Ash is reluctant to take Meghan there at best but orders are orders and if it's not him, then the Queen would send someone else who may not be so nice. Meghan is still trying to figure out what's going on between her and Ash, who goes from being really hot to icy cold in a blink. Does he actually care for her or is he just playing with her for fun? Let's hope I find out in The Iron Daughter.

One last thing. The other day, I bought the blu-ray set of the first six Star Trek movies and have since watched them. They are some of my all-time favorites but I can't believe I'd forgotten how utterly horrible Star Trek V - The Final Frontier is. Looking at some of the reviews on Netflix for this steaming pile of crap, I was amazed how many people defend it and Shatner, the genius director. It has a completely different feel from all the other original crew movies and reaches a whole new level of cheesiness. What a difference a director makes, eh?

4 comments:

Elle said...

Ah, the woes of reading. ;)

I've always wanted to read The Iron King - and I WILL as soon as I can!

Happy reading.

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

I would love to be in my pajamas right about now. *sigh*

Sorry to hear you've stalled out. I know you were really excited about DRtD. Maybe the second half will pick up and blow your mind. *crosses fingers*

Attending a Comic Con has been on my bucket list for a while. For this reason or that I haven't been able to go to one. Maybe I can take advantage of my boyfriend's Mom living in NY and attend NYCC. A girl can daydream can't she.

Not sure why but, I haven't had the urge to pick up TID despite all the great things I've read about it.

Jen said...

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed too :)

If you end up going to NYCC, let me know ok? We went in 2007 and has a blast, if not a blur. My husband collected comics at the time but not so much these days so we're going for mainly the other stuff - writers and celebrities and whatnot. I'm hoping to come home with some loot - ARCs and things.

Did you read The Iron King?

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

I'll definitely keep you posted.

Nope, I haven't. Heard great things but, hasn't called my attention. Not sure why. I'm weird like that sometimes.