Sunday, August 24, 2008

Stray by Rachel Vincent

I finally managed to get my hands on a copy of this one. I already had a copy of her second book, Rogue, courtesy of WalMart but I didn't want to read them out of order. Stray reminded me of Kelley Armstrong's Bitten on so many levels. The main character, a female were-something-or-other, is estranged from her pack by her choosing but gets sucked back in by a crisis. There's an ex-boyfriend left at home with a new one in her new life. She is a rarity in her were-life; Faythe (Stray) is one of only 8 females able to reproduce while Elena (Bitten) is the only female werewolf on the planet. Both Faythe and Elena are independent and headstrong. They'd have to be; leaving their families and familiarity behind is not something everybody could do. Especially since both of their families are depending on them for something that the males in their packs can't provide. The endings are similar as well. I liked this book and plan to read the next one I have and any others that come after.

No comments: