Monday, June 21, 2010

And Then There Was One

Out of the whole stack of books I brought home from the library last week, one remains. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson has been sitting on my coffee table for several days now, daring me to read it.

I'm not sure I want to.

It's like when the Lord of the Rings trilogy was being released in the theaters. You knew going in that The Fellowship of the Ring is going to be good and full of exposition and introductions and all that. And it is and it sets up The Two Towers but that's okay because there's two more movies to go. 

So then The Two Towers comes out. I was one of those folks that hadn't read the trilogy already. Yes, I've been reading since I was in short pants but sadly nobody ever shoved a copy of these books in my hands with the order to read them so I didn't know what would happen. The movie was so fantastic there really isn't a word for it or Fellowship but oh no! There's only one more to go before the end. 

The Return of the King wraps up the LOTR trilogy and it is bittersweet. It was hard to go to that movie and see how everything ended and know that there would be no more afterward. And no, The Hobbit doesn't count. Peter Jackson's washed his hands of it. 

Lisbeth's story comes to an end in Hornet's Nest. I do hope they wrap everything up but I'm afraid that the author didn't because he died while planning more Lisbeth and Mikael *bleeping* Blomkvist novels. How badly do I want to know how it ends? I've only got this book until July 7th so I can't put it off forever. I should probably read the book I picked for this month as my most anticipated, Open Country by Kaki Warner, but I'm not ready for it yet. Hmmm. Decisions, decisions...

1 comment:

Jen D. @ Not Now...I'm Reading! said...

I know how you feel. I've put off reading the last two books in Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson series because I'm not ready for it end just yet.