Sunday, June 20, 2010

Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at Sword & Cross boarding school in Savannah. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are screwups, and security cameras watch every move. 

Except Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce - he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, Fallen is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story.
I think it's time for me to take a break from YA pararoms. Not all of them, just the ones that can't distinguish themselves from their peers. Fallen is one of these; it's an amalgamation of Twilight and Hush, Hush. With a female main character who can pine with the best of them, Luce wants Daniel as much as Bella wanted Edward only this time, the beautiful boy isn't a vampire, he's an angel. An angel that runs as hot and cold as the faucet in my bathroom. How irritating.

Actually, the most irritating aspect of this book wasn't Daniel or even Luce - it was the total lack of answers that you get by the end. I get that the publishers want us suckers readers to come back for more but c'mon! Help a girl out! Throw me a frickin' bone here! I dislike series like this where the reader is kept mostly in the dark and I quit watching Lost during the second season for just this reason. Just so I don't come off as a complete wretch, I will admit that I did like some of the secondary characters like Penn and Arriane. Cam and Miss Sophia were pretty predictable. Also, I happen to like stories with angels and their mythos and this one was just intriguing enough to compel me to crack open book two. Maybe.

Fallen turned out to be one book in a crowd of okay but unimpressive YA.The sequel, Torment, comes out on September 28, 2010.

No comments: