Monday, April 5, 2010

Truly, Madly by Heather Webber

Heather Webber was a new author for me when I got this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. I was expecting, well...I'm not sure what I thought. I do know this: I liked this book. So much that I read it in one sitting. There's a few spoilery things after the jump so click at your own peril.

Lucy Valentine is handed the reins of her family's matchmaking business after a family scandal forces her parents to leave town for a while. Everyone in her family can see auras, except for Lucy. Lucy was born with this ability but after an accident during her teens, it changed to an ability to find lost items. How is she supposed to be successful and not ruin the family business if she can't operate the way her father does - he sees the auras of people and uses them to match couples? Lucy is under a lot of pressure, what with juggling her job, her two best friends (one of whom is in some kind of crisis), a new love interest, a possible murder mystery, her grandmother's matchmaking, and her worry over a local lost boy. That's a lot for one book but it still manages to work.

I liked Lucy. She's kind, loyal, and smart but lacking in a direction. Everyone needs a purpose and it's while she's handling her family's business that she discovers what might be hers: finding lost children. She also meets a man that thrills her to her toes but will she be able to fall (and stay) in love with him? She doesn't trust her ability to love - outside her family, that is.  Her family's track record isn't so good in that department.

I liked this book so much that I've started looking up other Heather Webber books. She also has a mystery series about a gardener named Nina Quinn. The second book in this series, Deeply, Desperately, will be out on August 3, 2010. This review also appears on LibraryThing.

No comments: