Friday, April 2, 2010

What is the Best Book of March?

This was a tough one. I had four books in March that I found worthy of an A. Well, that number isn't exactly accurate since I changed some grades after the afterglow of reading a wonderful book had faded. Occasionally I'll change a grade for a book when I'm adding another to the list. Here are the semi-finalists:


Pieces of Sky by Kaki Warner
The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning
Charmed and Dangerous by Toni McGee Causey
What the Lady Wants by Jennifer Crusie

The KMM book was a reread but now that I've seen Adam Black in a different aspect/light, I loved him even more the second time.

The Jenny Crusie book had all the aspects that make her books so awesome IMO - humor, likeable and layered characters, the inevitable romance. All three of these had chemistry in What the Lady Wants but not so much in Charlie All Night. WtLW was very good but it didn't make my heart sing like it did for Bet Me.

Charmed and Dangerous had a female protagonist who is on Louisiana's state watch list for possible reasons to call out the National Guard and she does it effortlessly. Her name alone makes the governor burst into tears. Bobbie Faye Sumrall and her absolutely eclectic group of friends and family make for some hilarious reading. This book was the funniest and lightest of the three in that series. When a Man Loves a Weapon and Girls Just Wanna Have Guns were entertaining reads too but lose some of the humor and that was unfortunate.

By process of elimination and if you read my previous review of Pieces of Sky, you should have figured out that I've decided to pick this book as The Best Book of March. It's not often that I discover a book that appealed to me on so many levels. It's a historical romance about a stiff Brit and a cowboy set in the west. It felt like one of my beloved Regency romances mashed together with a John Wayne-type story. Kaki Warner popped in here and left me a comment that made me laugh. Maybe one of my favorite things about this book is that it is the first in a trilogy. There's gonna be more! Yes Yes Yes!

No comments: