Sunday, May 2, 2010

Best Book of April 2010

Obviously, since I haven't reviewed many of the books I read in April, I haven't yet discussed this one so I shall do this review now, instead of later. The spoiler danger is minimal so all are welcome.


Nick and his brother, Alan, have spent their lives on the run from magic. Their father was murdered, and their mother was driven mad by magicians and the demons who give them power. The magicians are hunting the Ryves family for a charm that Nick's mother stole -- a charm that keeps her alive -- and they want it badly enough to kill again.

Danger draws even closer when a brother and sister come to the Ryves family for help. The boy wears a demon's mark, a sign of death that almost nothing can erase...and when Alan also gets marked by a demon, Nick is desperate to save him. The only way to do that is to kill one of the magicians they have been hiding from for so long.

Ensnared in a deadly game of cat and mouse, Nick starts to suspect that his brother is telling him lie after lie about their past. As the magicians' Circle closes in on their family, Nick uncovers the secret that could destroy them all.

This is the Demon's Lexicon. Turn the page.

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan is a topnotch read. Watching Nick struggle with his family and their problems was one thing but seeing it from Nick’s perspective made it all the more appealing and I don't think it would have been as engrossing from Alan's perspective. Nick’s internal struggle with certain issues made me wonder how worthy he really was – why would we, the reader, want to root for a boy who is completely single-minded in his quest to keep his older brother, Alan, alive and well while completely loathing their mother simultaneously? Why is he so focused on just his brother and yet be so completely hostile to anyone who is not a member of his inner circle? What had happened to them to make him that way? These are questions I kept asking myself throughout this book. I also was fervently hoping that something else was going on and that my suspicions that Brennan wasn’t as good a writer as I was led to believe weren’t true. Well, they were not. She is clever and I loved this book and can’t wait to read The Demon’s Covenant, out on May 18.

I adore a book that keeps me guessing and doesn't disappoint at the end and this book did both. There were a few books that I managed to read in April that were good enough to compete for award of Best Book but The Demon's Lexicon edged past the competition with this fantastic YA novel to beat them all. I liked this book so much that I've preordered the sequel, The Demon's Covenant, and I don't do that for many YA writers although I am guilty of recently buying Radiant Shadows and The Reckoning because my local library took too long in making them available to me. I am not a patient woman :)

No comments: