Sunday, May 2, 2010

Review: Waiting for You by Susane Colasanti

It's sophomore year, and Marisa is ready for a fresh start and, hopefully, her first real boyfriend. But after popular Derek asks her out, things get complicated. Not only do her parents unexpectedly separate, but Marisa has a fight with her best friend, and Derek, the love of her life, delivers a shocking disappointment. The only things keeping Marisa together are the podcasts from the anonymous DJ, who seems to totally understand Marisa. But she doesn't know who he is . . . or maybe she does.

I knew by the time that I finished the first chapter that I wasn’t going to love this book. This is because Marisa used the word “like” about a hundred times. And this book was about a teenage girl with an anxiety problem. How original. Marisa has what she thinks is an abnormally normal life but I think if you removed the anxiety element of Marisa’s story, it would be pretty boring. The depression she occasionally suffers is about the only thing in her life that makes her different from most other teenage girls though I believe Susane Colasanti accurately captured the urgent feelings that teenage girls get while they try to make it through this turbulent period of life and while I kind of liked Marisa, I didn’t love her. Or want to root for her. I did like a few of the other characters and I didn't have any issue with Colasanti's style. I felt this was an average YA novel that left me unaffected by reading it.

No comments: