Saturday, April 4, 2009

Promises in Death by J. D. Robb

I haven't read a Eve Dallas book in quite a while. Several years ago I devoured as many as I could get my hands on and they hadn't started coming out in hardback yet. I think the last one was the one about the doctors that were creating clones. Or something like that. There was a reference to it in Promises but I don't remember how far back in the series and I'm too lazy right now to look it up. That one was okay and kinda put me off the series.

I love Nora Roberts and have read most of her books and the fact that she's able to pull off a futuristic series (I usually don't go for those) is not surprising. That being said, Promises impressed me. Maybe surprised would be a better word. Eve Dallas is mellowing! She was almost mushy. Compassionate, sympathetic, and borderline nurturing is not typical Eve behavior and it's nice to see that she's evolving. I certainly don't want Eve to lose her essence though; Eve Dallas is one tough bitch and I like her that way. One of my favorite things about Nora Roberts's novels is that I love the way she writes women: strong, stubborn, insightful, compassionate, able to adapt and grow and funny. She always creates appealing men too: never perfect but well-suited foils for their women. Perfection in suitability hardly ever happens in real-life but I love reading about it. Eve and Roarke is a wonderful example of this: a tough-as-nails cop that follows the rules and a reformed (not completely) member of the criminal element who bends the rules when he needs to. Bring on the next one Nora!


No comments: