Sunday, December 5, 2010

Reading Meme, Day Five

Day Five – A book you hate


I had read a few other Anita Shreve books before I got to this one and liked them. When I finished The Last Time They Met, I was on a break at work and it was for that reason only that this book did not end up as a wallbanger. I hate books that pull the rug out from under you at the end - the Ha! Made You Look! ending  - and Anita Shreve pulls it off so perfectly that you don't see it coming. 

This is a book about lovers reuniting, renewing their relationship later in their lives after they find each other again by accident in Africa. I wasn't loving it prior to the rug pulling but the ending was the icing on the cake. Another book that pulled the same stunt: Atonement by Ian McEwan. I didn't like that one either will give it credit for one thing - it bounced pretty well.

No comments: